Working in the UK post Brexit

Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2021 by heather DuhigNo comments

Working in the UK post Brexit

 On the 1st January 2021 the UK left the European Union, and with this came a new immigration system.

In this post we are going to provide you with some information around some of the changes, and what action you may need to take.


EU, EEA or Swiss Nationals in the UK before 31st December 2020

If you were living in the UK before 31st December 2020, you need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30th June 2021. The application is free, and you will be given either ‘Pre-Settled’ or ‘Settled’ status.

You will need to provide proof of the below when applying:

  • your identity
  • your residence in the UK, unless you have a valid permanent residence document, or valid indefinite leave to remain in or enter the UK

Click here to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme:  


Permanent Residence Cards

The UK and EU have agreed that permanent residence documents or registration certificates will be invalid after Brexit. Individuals will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme or for British Citizenship.

However, you can continue to use these documents for Right to Work checks till you receive a settled status, or the until the deadline of 30th June 2021.


Indefinite leave to Remain or enter

You do not need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you have indefinite leave to remain or enter, or you are an Irish citizen, but you can if you want to.


Visiting the UK

EU, EEA and Swiss citizens and other non-visa nationals do not require a visa to enter the UK when visiting the UK for up to 6 months. All migrants looking to enter the UK for other reasons (such as work or study) will need to apply for entry clearance in advance.


UK’s New Immigration System

From the 1st of January, the UK introduced a points-based immigration system. The points-based system includes routes for Skilled Workers, Global Talent and Students.

Skilled Workers

For Skilled workers, you will need to demonstrate:

  • you have a job offer from a Home Office licensed sponsor
  • the job offer is at the required skill level – RQF 3 or above (A Level and equivalent)
  • you speak English to the required standard


Job offers must also meet the minimum salary threshold of £25,600 unless the job is one of the below (but no less than £20,480):

  • a job offer in a specific shortage occupation
  • a PhD relevant to the job
  • a PhD in a STEM subject relevant to the job


Click here for information on Student visa’s.

Click here for information on the other type of work visa’s available.

Previous PostNext Post

No comments on "Working in the UK post Brexit"