This post is responsible for the collation, reporting and analysis of management information within the children services information team, ensuring that key data required for local and statutory purposes is captured and is retrieved in such a way to provide accurate and clear information.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Design ways of holding information to store and track data efficiently
- Incorporate data from partner agencies to provide tracking and statistical analysis and returns
- Combine datasets as required using data matching methodology and unique identifiers
- Scope, design and write reports using appropriate software (Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services, Business Objects, Crystal Reports) to produce data from case management systems as required for statutory returns and local management needs. This involves expert knowledge of how to get the most out of the functionality of the reporting tools, detailed technical knowledge of complex databases to know where to pick up the correct data together with knowledge of business processes and recording practices.
- Provide advice, guidance and support to colleagues to ensure that whole team objectives are met e.g. sharing of expert excel skills, expert report writing techniques, knowledge of data limitations
- Analyse and interpret data as required in order to provide managers and elected members with information that is used to inform strategic decision making and management of performance. This includes consideration of the content and the audience, making sure that the data presented meets the requirement and using creativity to help explain or highlight issues.
- Research and suggest new ways of analysing and considering data. Childrenâ€™s Services is a continuously developing landscape and data requirements do not stand still so reports and analysis need to align with change and work to reveal more about activity and performance.
- Validate the quality of statistical information produced, following up with managers where necessary to achieve quality data. This often requires tact and diplomacy alongside examples of good and bad practice to explain sometimes complex scenarios.
- Produce daily, weekly, monthly quarterly and annual reports as required and distribute in a timely fashion. Follow up any data queries and provide deep-dive detail and analysis as required.
- Produce, prepare, validate and submit data for statutory returns. This requires a large amount of technical skill/knowledge and perseverance. Central government often change their requirements and validation rules resulting in the need to quickly understand a new issue and find the solution to ensure our returns are accurate. This includes an assessment of the impact of what is being submitted on the reputation of the Council, either because data shows a poor result or that data is absent/quality is poor which suggests that the Council cannot manage its information.
- Maintain a history of information produced to enable retrospective analysis
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the childrenâ€™s services business process, work flow and management information definitions and the impact that has on reporting requirements
- Identify needs for collection / analysis of data in light of changing requirements e.g. New legislation or changes in local business processes that require new monitoring arrangements
- Contribute to the development of practice and procedures employed by teams and other staff inputting data to systems, through offering advice and support.
- Develop and maintain detailed knowledge of user functions of the case management system to ensure the correct data is analysed and that likely changes in data patterns and trends are anticipated
- Provide support and advice to projects in relation to management information.
Skills required for the role:
- HNC or NVQ Level 4 qualifications in statistical analysis or information management, or relevant experience
- Professional Qualification in Information Systems / Information technology or statistical analysis
- Knowledge of childrenâ€™s services business processes
- Significant experience of working with large datasets and maintaining the integrity of data during manipulation and analysis.
- Experience of data matchingÂ and data cleansing
- Advanced knowledge and expertise in use of reporting tools (for example SQL query language and SSRS) enabling development of complex high performance querying of the data warehouses.
- Excellent IT skills including Advanced Excel skills e.g. graphs, pivot tables, filtering.
- Ability to create and analyse statistical reports that are suited to the audience
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Effective time management skills to respond to complex and constantly changing work priorities and working to deadlines
- Well organised and methodical / logical thinker
- Ability to set up and review systems and procedures
- Ability to work independently but as a part of a team
- Experience of working with confidential data and understanding of the data protection act
- Good communicator with the ability and confidence to work constructively with senior managers
If you have the above skill set and would like to be considered please do send us a copt of yoru CV for consideration.